The Maine Pain Symposium is a conference of the Maine Pain Initiative (MPI), which began in July, 1993 as the Maine Cancer Pain Initiative. It was modeled after the highly effective Wisconsin Cancer Pain Initiative, which began in the 1980′s and is comprised of a multidisciplinary group of health care professionals, consumers and other interested persons.
- Provide education in the assessment and management of pain.
- Assist in the development and utilization of appropriate pain assessment tools and standards.
- Assist in the development of advocacy and educational programs and materials for health care professionals, patients, their families and the public.
- Identify and support strategies to overcome barriers that impede access to pain relieving medications.
- Conduct research relevant to the problems and barriers that face patients in a large rural state like Maine